The Aquatic Uncle


So, beyond the fact that this was all I read for this week because we did it in class (Really helpful) I did find this story to be oddly really interesting. I want to emphasis the oddly part because any story about quazsy fish people and a person running off with someone’s uncle who is a fish is going to be a bit odd. And I think that’s the part the draws me to this story the most. Yes, it’s well written, and yes it’s an example of an interesting genre. But mostly what I left with was this feeling of odd amusement. Like I couldn’t really believe what I just read. What I couldn’t believe more, was that I actually enjoyed it.  Should this come as a surprise though? It’s odd yes, but it is based on real science. Obviously, this is stretching some of that science quite far, but still. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of the idea of fish becoming people. So why does this story strike me as so odd. Well I think it’s down to the very human and normal parts of it actually. The odd feeling, is actually an awkward feeling because the story has relatable ideas, or characters. Think, everyone has that awkward uncle who thinks he knows everything but is really stuck ten years in the past. And the idea of that uncle stealing your partner in a relationship?! Even more odd and awkward. But this all stems from the very human part of the story, and not of the fish side. Interesting to think about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Each Man Kills by Victoria Glad

Chapter One - Neverwhere

The Tradition of the Tea Plant